The family of the Marquis Bourbon del Monte Santa Maria belongs to the most important tuscan dynasties of the Middle Age and was among the most illustrious aristocratic families of the Medici era. It later developed branches also in Umbria and Marche.
Ranieri, Lord of Tuscany from 1014 to 1027, was the first marquis and adopted the patronymic of “Bourbon del Monte Santa Maria” from his dominion on “Castrum Montis S. Mariae” on the Upper Tiber Valley, in what is today the municipality of Monte Santa Maria Tiberina.
The Palazzo Bourbon del Monte, often referred as Castle or Palazzo Marchionale was built on a pre-existing structure between 1564 and 1614 by Marquis Bartolomeo and his son Marquis Gianbattista. In 1894 marquis Gianbattista Francesco sold the castle and all the properties in Monte S. Maria to the family of marquis Capranica del Grillo.
From this moment the building fell in a state of abandonment and was severely damage during the 1944 bombings.
The restoration only began 1990 when the municipality of Monte Santa Maria Tiberina bought the Castel which witnesses the millenarian history of the hilltop town.
Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$gdpr in /web/htdocs/www.festivalnazioni.com/home/wp-content/plugins/wd-google-maps/frontend/views/GMWDViewFrontendMap.php on line 27