sansep

Sansepolcro – Santa Chiara Auditorium

Sansepolcro – Santa Chiara Auditorium

Built between the XI and XII Centuries in gothic shapes, the church was redimensioned and reworked in classical shapes by Alberto Alberti. In the occasion of the 500th anniversari of Piero della Francesca’s death (1992), the building was restored thanks to the link it had with the famous artist, who painted for that church the Polyptych of the Agostinians, now scattered in several museums and the fresco of San Giuliano, now in the Museo Civico in Sansepolcro.
Reopened in 1995, the Auditorium conserves in the central altar, the Pala dell’Assunta by the Umbrian school), in the Virgin Chapel frescos by G. Battista Mercati (1630) and in the Saint Andrea Chapel the fresco by Cherubino Alberti (1576).