MONTONE-INTERNO S FRANCESCO

Montone – Church of San Francesco


Montone – Church of San Francesco

Construction of the complex dates back to the first decade of the ‘300, when the order of Friars Minor Conventual set themselves up in the Montone area. It is a typically Gothic building, in which there are many traces of the old form. The church consists of a nave with a trussed roof and ends with a polygonal apse with  a mullioned window in the center and lateral lancet windows. The  original furniture , whose fresco decorations are the most important aspect, are the wooden choir of the XV century, the counter of the Magistrates made in 1505 and the inlaid wood portal made  in 1519 by Bencivenni and Mercatello . The annexed convent, with the elegant sixteenth-century cloister, is the location for the Municipal Museum, containing three sections dedicated to painting, to silvers and sacred parameters, in addition to the wooden group of the Deposition.