MONTONE-INTERNO S FRANCESCO

Montone – Church of San Francesco


Montone – Church of San Francesco

Construction of the complex dates back to the first decade of the ‘300, when the order of Friars Minor Conventual set themselves up in the Montone area. It is a typically Gothic building, in which there are many traces of the old form. The church consists of a nave with a trussed roof and ends with a polygonal apse with  a mullioned window in the center and lateral lancet windows. The  original furniture , whose fresco decorations are the most important aspect, are the wooden choir of the XV century, the counter of the Magistrates made in 1505 and the inlaid wood portal made  in 1519 by Bencivenni and Mercatello . The annexed convent, with the elegant sixteenth-century cloister, is the location for the Municipal Museum, containing three sections dedicated to painting, to silvers and sacred parameters, in addition to the wooden group of the Deposition.

Castello Bourbon-Santa Maria Tiberina

MONTE SANTA MARIA TIBERINA -Bourbon castle

Monte Santa Maria Tiberina – Bourbon castle

The family of the Marquis Bourbon del Monte Santa Maria belongs to the most important tuscan dynasties of the Middle Age and was among the most illustrious aristocratic families of the Medici era. It later developed branches also in Umbria and Marche.
Ranieri, Lord of Tuscany from 1014 to 1027, was the first marquis and adopted the patronymic of “Bourbon del Monte Santa Maria” from his dominion on “Castrum Montis S. Mariae” on the Upper Tiber Valley, in what is today the municipality of Monte Santa Maria Tiberina.
The Palazzo Bourbon del Monte, often referred as Castle or Palazzo Marchionale was built on a pre-existing structure between 1564 and 1614 by Marquis Bartolomeo and his son Marquis Gianbattista. In 1894 marquis Gianbattista Francesco sold the castle and all the properties in Monte S. Maria to the family of marquis Capranica del Grillo.
From this moment the building fell in a state of abandonment and was severely damage during the 1944 bombings.
The restoration only began 1990 when the municipality of Monte Santa Maria Tiberina bought the Castel which witnesses the millenarian history of the hilltop town.

 

 

Dipinti di Luca Signrelli

Morra – San Crescentino Oratory

San Crescentino Oratory is located in Morra, a locality a few kilometers from Città di Castello. Built in 1420 and enlarged in 1507, the inside of the Oratory has a single nave that preserves late Gothic frescoes related to the original structure in the sacristy and, along the walls, a decoration executed by the workshop of the painter from Cortona, Luca Signorelli (1450-1523). The scenes of the Flagellation and the Crucifixion are the only ones made by the hands of this artist.