teatro illuminati

Città di Castello – Teatro degli Illuminati

Città di castello – Teatro Comunale degli Illuminati

This theatre was built by architect Antonio Gabrielli and commissioned by “Accademici Illuminati”. It hosted the first performance in 1666. Operation went on for many years with some restorations in between until in 1783 it was decided to re-build it completely. In 1939 the theatre was sold to the municipality of Città di Castello. The latest restorations took place in two stages: the most substantial one in 1979 and the second one in 1984; these allowed the use of stalls and gallery for about four hundred people. The theatre hosts its usual programme and is a venue for Festival delle Nazioni and many other cultural events of the city.

Ex Essiccatoi tabacco

CITTA DI CASTELLO – Burri Museum, ex-Tobacco Drying Warehouse

Città di Castello – Burri Museum, ex-Tobacco Drying Warehouse

The ex-Drying Warehouse complex, inaugurated in 1990, completes the collection in the Palazzo Albizzini, with the exhibition of the cycles of large format works created by Burri between 1979 and 1993.  The large structure, built for the Tobacco Production Consortium in the 1950s for drying the tropical tobacco produced in the area, discontinued this role in the 1970s.  In 1978 Burri obtained the use of the warehouse as a workshop.  In 1989 the Burri Trust acquired the entire complex and began restructuring it for the purpose of housing the works of the Tiber Valley artist.  The large halls, completely painted black in accordance with Burri’s wishes, contain 128 large  works of art, separated by cycles: the Journey (1979), Sextant (1982), Red and Black (1984), Cellotex T (1975-84),  Growing Dark (1985-87), Don’t Like Black (1988), Black (1988-90), Metamorfotex (1991) and Black and Gold (1992-93).

C.d.c. Villa Montesca

Città di Castello – Villa Montesca Park

Villa della Montesca e Parco

Villa Montesca is the most impressive villa around Città di Castello, it was built from 1880 on the project of architect Boccini of Florence and commissioned by barons Giulio and Leopoldo Franchetti.
Baron Leopoldo, a senator and a philanthropist , remains one of the most important figures of Città di Castello where he took his wife Alice Hallgarten. Together they promoted economic, educational and social initiatives in favour of sharecroppers, women and in general of the poorer families.
The villa today is owned by Regione Umbria and hosts training courses of high european ranking. In this way it respects the original educational goal of its founders.

The park was built together with the villa from 1885 and is unique in Umbria for its variety of plants. Still present today are exotic and mediterranean species which were brought into the garden by baron Fianchetti from his many travels at the beginning of the century. The structure of park with its paths is reminiscent of the english style; vegetation is typical of the period and is dominated by the presence of conifer trees but many other unusual and rare species are also present.

Palazzo Vitelli alla Cannoniera-Pinacoteca Comuna

Città di Castello – Palace Vitelli alla Cannoniera


Città di Castello – Palace Vitelli alla Cannoniera

Superb example of a royal residence of the first half of the XVI century, the Renaissance Palace was built for the wedding of Alessandro Vitelli and Angela Paola  dei Rossi of San Secondo Parmense. The main facade of the building is entirely decorated with graffiti made by Gherardi and designed by Vasari. The staircase that leads to the main floor is beautifully painted with a complex decoration, together celebratory and symbolic, attributed to Cola dell’Amatrice and Gherardi. The palace is the location for the Municipal Art Gallery, the second largest in Umbria after the National Gallery of Umbria in Perugia, where magnificent works by great artists such as Raffaello, Signorelli, Pomarancio, Raffaellino del Colle and many others  are exhibited.



Città di Castello – San Domenico Church

Città di Castello – San Domenico Church

The monumental Church, started thanks to the will of the Dominican Fathers, has a wide structure with a single nave and a cross choir. It was consecrated in 1426. The facade is unfinished. On the left side of the building, arises the belfry. Simple and austere is the architectural line of the apsis, with three chapels at the bottom, surmounted by a gothic vault. The two Reinassance altars, at the sides of the major one, used to guard the “Cricifixion” by Raffaello, painted around the 1503 and now at the National Gallery in London. The wooden choir, composed by 26 stalls with fine marquestries and situated in the apsis, it is a valuable masterpiece by Manno dei Cori. The portal, restored in 1939, is a masterpiece by the stone cutter Maestro Pietro Pazzaglia. Above the portal there is a fresco by a Città di Castello painter, Aldo Riguccini.




Citerna – Church of San Francesco

Built in the 16th century probably over the remains of an existing building, the Church has an irregular Latin cross plan.  It contains nine altars, some of them almost identical and embellished with reliefs and richly gilded wooden decorations, and notable works of art.  Among them the most important are: a painting by Simone Ciburri dated 1610  portraying St. Anthony of Padua and in the background Citerna as it was at that time; a fresco by the school of Signorelli, about 1550; a panel of the Virgin by the Florentine school; and the Vitelli family altar with a Christ in Glory by Raffellino del Colle, who was also the artist of the painting over the magnificent altar of the Crucifixion and of a small panel depicting the Madonna and Child.  There is a wooden crucifix of late 13th century Byzantine work.


Sansepolcro – Santa Chiara Auditorium

Sansepolcro – Santa Chiara Auditorium

Built between the XI and XII Centuries in gothic shapes, the church was redimensioned and reworked in classical shapes by Alberto Alberti. In the occasion of the 500th anniversari of Piero della Francesca’s death (1992), the building was restored thanks to the link it had with the famous artist, who painted for that church the Polyptych of the Agostinians, now scattered in several museums and the fresco of San Giuliano, now in the Museo Civico in Sansepolcro.
Reopened in 1995, the Auditorium conserves in the central altar, the Pala dell’Assunta by the Umbrian school), in the Virgin Chapel frescos by G. Battista Mercati (1630) and in the Saint Andrea Chapel the fresco by Cherubino Alberti (1576).


SAN GIUSTINO – Bufalini Castle

In 1487 Niccolò di Manno Bufalini received from Città di Castello a fort to be completed for the defence of the Upper Tiber Valley territory. Its restructuring, begun by the Roman architect Mariano Savelli, was completed by Giovanni and Camillo Vitelli. In the 16th century, in the ownership of Giulio and Ventura Bufalini, the building was transformed into a noble residence by the work of the Florentine architect Giovanni di Alesso, known as Nanni Unghero, and with the cycles of frescoes and ‘grotesques’ created by Cristoforo Gherardi of Sansepolcro. This was the home of Francesca Turrini Bufalini (1553-1641), a lady and poetess of noted personality, the wife of Giulio Bufalini, a colonel in the Papal forces. At the end of the 17th century the Bufalini family transformed the garden, with beds of prized roses, tree-lined arcades, fountains, niches decorated with mosaics and a large labyrinth of box.
The castle was acquired by the State in 1989 and underwent substantial restoration.



Città di Castello – Saint Domenico Cloister

Saint Domenico Cloister

The cloister was a part of the monumental complex of Saint Domenico’s Church. Its initial structure, smaller than the actual, was built together with the monastery in the XIV Century. The cloister has an irregular rectangular map with a central free space, where you can see a double order of archs which rest on elegant columns in pietra serena stone. Along the walls, both at the first and second floor, remain some fourteenth-century gothic marks. Around the cloister there are 32 lunettes which represent miracles and facts belonging to the life of Saint Margherita, whom body is conserved in Saint Domenico’s Church, with inscriptions both in latin and italian. Some lunettes were painted by Silvio Salvocci from Arezzo and some others by Giovambattista Pacetti known as the “Sguazzino”.









Umbertide – Teatro dei Riuniti

Umbertide – Teatro dei Riuniti

The history of the theatre is connected to a literary and theatrical academy of the XVI century. The theatre as we see it today was built in 1808 and subsequently restored. In 1989 it was brought back to its original splendour and quickly became the epicentre of the city’s cultural life. It is the venue of choice of the acting company made of actors and technicians who, despite the long and many professional experiences, have chosen to work for free.