Città di castello – Teatro Comunale degli Illuminati
This theatre was built by architect Antonio Gabrielli and commissioned by “Accademici Illuminati”. It hosted the first performance in 1666. Operation went on for many years with some restorations in between until in 1783 it was decided to re-build it completely. In 1939 the theatre was sold to the municipality of Città di Castello. The latest restorations took place in two stages: the most substantial one in 1979 and the second one in 1984; these allowed the use of stalls and gallery for about four hundred people. The theatre hosts its usual programme and is a venue for Festival delle Nazioni and many other cultural events of the city.