29.08 Rossi Bezziccheri_1280x852

Friday 29th august, 6 P.M.

Monte Santa Maria Tiberina, Castello Bourbon del Monte Square

Danilo Rossi viola
Giulia Baracani flute
The winner of the “Alberto Burri” for young performers 2013 Award
Stefano Bezziccheri piano

Dmitrij Šostakovič, Sonata for viola and pianoforte op. 147
Franz Anton Hoffmeister, Six duets for viola e flute op. 13
Vache Sharafyan, Solo for flute,  ITALIAN PREMIERE

Great attention, even this year, will be paid to the concert which has as a protagonist the winner of the 2013 “Alberto Burri” prize for young musician, the important award is appointed by the Festival to sustain the musical studies of new talents. This year the protagonist will be Giulia Baracani, 26 years old flautist from Tuscany, who has already collaborated with important groups such as the Chamber Ensemble of the Teatro Comunale di Modena, the Ensemble ‘900 of the National Academy Santa Cecilia and the Nextime Ensemble conducted by Danilo Grassi. Moreover she has already performed as a soloist with the Young Orchestra of Salzburg. In the concert, dedicated to her, she will perform together with the duo Danilo Rossi and Stefano Bezziccheri. With the first she will play the Duets by Hoffmeister whilst her musical talent will be underlined with the solo for flute by the Armenian composer Vache Sharafyan, presented as an Italian premiere at the Festival delle Nazioni.

CHE VERDI VIVA_CAMERISTI DELLA SCAL_GABRIELE LAVIA_LAURA MARZADORI_MASSIMO POLIDORI

Città di Castello – San Domenico Church


Città di Castello – San Domenico Church

The monumental Church, started thanks to the will of the Dominican Fathers, has a wide structure with a single nave and a cross choir. It was consecrated in 1426. The facade is unfinished. On the left side of the building, arises the belfry. Simple and austere is the architectural line of the apsis, with three chapels at the bottom, surmounted by a gothic vault. The two Reinassance altars, at the sides of the major one, used to guard the “Cricifixion” by Raffaello, painted around the 1503 and now at the National Gallery in London. The wooden choir, composed by 26 stalls with fine marquestries and situated in the apsis, it is a valuable masterpiece by Manno dei Cori. The portal, restored in 1939, is a masterpiece by the stone cutter Maestro Pietro Pazzaglia. Above the portal there is a fresco by a Città di Castello painter, Aldo Riguccini.

 

 

e

Citerna – Church of San Francesco

Built in the 16th century probably over the remains of an existing building, the Church has an irregular Latin cross plan.  It contains nine altars, some of them almost identical and embellished with reliefs and richly gilded wooden decorations, and notable works of art.  Among them the most important are: a painting by Simone Ciburri dated 1610  portraying St. Anthony of Padua and in the background Citerna as it was at that time; a fresco by the school of Signorelli, about 1550; a panel of the Virgin by the Florentine school; and the Vitelli family altar with a Christ in Glory by Raffellino del Colle, who was also the artist of the painting over the magnificent altar of the Crucifixion and of a small panel depicting the Madonna and Child.  There is a wooden crucifix of late 13th century Byzantine work.

morra

Morra – San Crescentino Oratory

Morra – San Crescentino Oratory

San Crescentino Oratory is located in Morra, a locality a few kilometers from Città di Castello. Built in 1420 and enlarged in 1507, the inside of the Oratory has a single nave that preserves late Gothic frescoes related to the original structure in the sacristy and, along the walls, a decoration executed by the workshop of the painter from Cortona, Luca Signorelli (1450-1523). The scenes of the Flagellation and the Crucifixion are the only ones made by the hands of this artist.

 

sansep

Sansepolcro – Santa Chiara Auditorium

Sansepolcro – Santa Chiara Auditorium

Built between the XI and XII Centuries in gothic shapes, the church was redimensioned and reworked in classical shapes by Alberto Alberti. In the occasion of the 500th anniversari of Piero della Francesca’s death (1992), the building was restored thanks to the link it had with the famous artist, who painted for that church the Polyptych of the Agostinians, now scattered in several museums and the fresco of San Giuliano, now in the Museo Civico in Sansepolcro.
Reopened in 1995, the Auditorium conserves in the central altar, the Pala dell’Assunta by the Umbrian school), in the Virgin Chapel frescos by G. Battista Mercati (1630) and in the Saint Andrea Chapel the fresco by Cherubino Alberti (1576).

castello_bufalini

SAN GIUSTINO – Bufalini Castle

In 1487 Niccolò di Manno Bufalini received from Città di Castello a fort to be completed for the defence of the Upper Tiber Valley territory. Its restructuring, begun by the Roman architect Mariano Savelli, was completed by Giovanni and Camillo Vitelli. In the 16th century, in the ownership of Giulio and Ventura Bufalini, the building was transformed into a noble residence by the work of the Florentine architect Giovanni di Alesso, known as Nanni Unghero, and with the cycles of frescoes and ‘grotesques’ created by Cristoforo Gherardi of Sansepolcro. This was the home of Francesca Turrini Bufalini (1553-1641), a lady and poetess of noted personality, the wife of Giulio Bufalini, a colonel in the Papal forces. At the end of the 17th century the Bufalini family transformed the garden, with beds of prized roses, tree-lined arcades, fountains, niches decorated with mosaics and a large labyrinth of box.
The castle was acquired by the State in 1989 and underwent substantial restoration.

 

chiostro

Città di Castello – Saint Domenico Cloister

Saint Domenico Cloister

The cloister was a part of the monumental complex of Saint Domenico’s Church. Its initial structure, smaller than the actual, was built together with the monastery in the XIV Century. The cloister has an irregular rectangular map with a central free space, where you can see a double order of archs which rest on elegant columns in pietra serena stone. Along the walls, both at the first and second floor, remain some fourteenth-century gothic marks. Around the cloister there are 32 lunettes which represent miracles and facts belonging to the life of Saint Margherita, whom body is conserved in Saint Domenico’s Church, with inscriptions both in latin and italian. Some lunettes were painted by Silvio Salvocci from Arezzo and some others by Giovambattista Pacetti known as the “Sguazzino”.